I-Beam: Ready for another Great Year
The I-Beam program is off to its 5th year in the East Cooper Elementary Schools. I-Beam is a lunchtime literacy and mentoring program that connects volunteer adult mentors with 2nd thru 5th grade students who scored below the 25th percentile on MAP (measures of academic progress) testing and/or qualify for free and reduced lunch and/or are recommended into the program by their teacher. On the same day each week, volunteers travel to a nearby elementary school for one hour of lunch socializing then one-on-one reading with their student. For the one hour session, the mentors promote the skills of reading, the love of reading and encouraging, consistent adult relationships.
One Student. One Adult. One Hour. Once a Week.
As this program is ever-growing and ever evolving, we are always looking for new volunteer mentors and new partner churches. Please spread the word among your friends and colleagues about the goals, plans and needs for the children who will be positively impacted by volunteers through I-Beam.
Schools needing mentors for 2015-2106 academic year: Belle Hall Elementary School, Charles Pinckney Elementary School, James B. Edwards Elementary School, Jennie Moore Elementary School, Laurel Hill Primary School, Mamie P. Whitesides Elementary School, and St. James Santee Elementary School.
Mentor Training Sessions:
- Sept. 21st at 7 pm and Sept. 24th at 12:00 pm at Christ Church, 2304 N Hwy 17, Mt Pleasant
- Sept.22nd at 6:30 pm at New Wappetaw Presbyterian Church, 635 Pinckney St, McClellanville
Below are survey results from our last academic year. For more information on I-Beam, click here.
2014-2015 Survey Overview
- 99 % of I-Beam mentors ranked their overall interaction (fit, relationship, etc.) with their student as very positive or positive
- 91 % of I-Beam mentors plan to mentor with I-Beam during the 2015-2016 school year
- 91 % of I-Beam mentors feel that they made a difference in the life of their student
- 90 % of I-Beam teachers have noticed an increase in self-esteem in participating students
- 86 % of I-Beam teachers have noticed a difference in reading skills (comprehension, willingness to read aloud, fluency, etc.) in participating students
- 83 % of I-Beam teachers have noticed an increased enthusiasm for learning in participating students
- 72 % of I-Beam teachers have noticed a very positive or positive difference in classroom performance in participating students
What People are saying about I-Beam
- I love the program and the positive impact that it has had on my students. I am very thankful for our I-Beam volunteers!
- I have been very pleased with the mentors themselves and the impact they have on the students. The mentors are very approachable, decent people and the students benefit from spending time with them.
- I love the program and my I-Beam students always look forward to seeing their mentors. Thank you for this program. It makes a huge difference to these students’ lives!
- He has gone from disliking to read to reading the entire time we are together
- Sharing the joy of reading with this precious child is fun and rewarding.
- The fact that a student has one on one special time set aside each week with a mentor who loves to read and loves children is success in itself! The personal growth in the students I have mentored is astounding. I document each weeks reading time so that I can review progress throughout the year and find it rewarding to track progress and note students observations as well as successes and opportunities.
If you would like more information on ECFN or I-Beam, submit your information on the contact us tab.